11 November 2008

Keith Olbermann Weighs in on Prop 8




I have been a fan of Keith Olbermann for a long long time. Well before he was the host of MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann, Olbermann was co-anchor of ESPN's SportsCenter with Dan Patrick. From 1992-1997, I enjoyed watching his whitty quips and great homerun calls.

Because I had only known Olbermann as a sports anchor, it was a shock to me when he started doing political analysis. However, it was not until this election cycle that I started to pay attention to him, and I am sure glad I did. The highlight for me was always the "Special Comment," in which Keith sounds off on a topic. So often insightful, and always fiery, the "Special Comment" is an essay on a topic of Keith's choosing. While there were many great ones during this election (a highlight being his attack on Hillary Clinton for raising the spectre of assassination and RFK when speaking of Obama), this all culminated in one of the best journalistic comments I have ever heard in my life.

In a plea for justice, in a plea for human rights, Mr. Olbermann's latest "Special Comment" found him speaking out on the passage of Proposition 8 in California, which altered the California State Constitution to ban gay marriage. It is absolutely astounding. Here it is:


If you are not moved by that, you are heartless.

No comments: