30 July 2008

The Next Coming of the Murder City Devils: Black Eyes & Neckties



I made sure to get down to the Capitol Hill Block Party early last Friday so that I could check out Black Eyes & Neckties (BENt), a band we had played on our KGRG radio show D.I.Y. for the first time just a few days before. In the underground Seattle scene there had been a buzz about this Bellingham band that their website describes as "dark garage punk and horror rock with an infections frantic energy that's hard to match."

We walked into Neumo's just in time for the show to start and I was immediately blown away. They sound like the Murder City Devils. This is not to say they are exactly the same, but all of the things that make MCDs good is what makes BENt so great. The driving guitars, the screaming vocals (and a singer that looks kind of like Spencer to boot), the organ...it is all so familiar. And yet, these guys seem to bring something even more to the table. At one point in the set Brenda Grimm, the organist, tackled the guitarist as he continued to play. They had so much energy, so much gusto, that half way through the set I was texting every music lover I knew telling them how amazing it all was. You can check out more about them here or here. Enjoy the pictures I took!



No comments: