25 July 2008

Step Brothers: Will Ferrell's Return to Comedy



It seems like it has been awhile since I have enjoyed a Will Ferrell film...Although, I have to admit, somewhere along the line I stopped watching them. I have heard that Blades of Glory was decent, And I don't mean to blaspheme, but I could barely sit through Talladega Nights. I had to stop it half way through and finish it at another time. But where I though all of those films were lacking, Step Brothers comes through.

Step Brothers is the story of Dale (John C. Reilly) and Brennan (Will Ferrell), two forty-year-olds who still live with their parents. When Brennan's mom (played by Mary Steenburgen of Back to the Future III and Nixon) and Dale's dad (portrayed by Richard Jenkins...YES THE DAD FROM SIX FEET UNDER!), the two "children" are forced to move in together, bond over a hatred for Brennan's younger brother, and hilarity ensues.

While the film is over the top, silly, and sometimes just plain stupid, it harkens back to a time of Will Ferrell films that you wanted to quote ad nauseam. The childishness of the jokes is at first a little overbearing, but as the film progresses, and you get to see Reilly and Ferrell play off one another (man I bet the blooper real for this film is spectacular!), the true genius of the film begins to come through. It is one liner after another of pure gold. I'd give some examples, but I don't want to ruin the film for you! Sadly, the previews already give away too many of the jokes (although I do have to say that the jokes go even further than those that are shown in the preview).

Now, all of that being said, this isn't the best comedy you will ever see. It is no Superbad or Knocked Up, but it is a step up from Talladega Nights and Walk Hard (a film I somewhat enjoyed, but mainly because I had very low expectations going into it). So, if you are a sucker for comedies, or just plain love Will Ferrell, go check out Step Brothers...you won't be disappointed.

No comments: